As a follow up to my last post about becoming Swedish and getting Swedish citizenship – I’ve compiled a list of 40 things that can help determine how Swedish you are!
(Yes, some of these are exaggerated, generalizations, stereotypes, might not apply to all Swedes, or has nothing to do with being Swedish – but they are all things that I have either noticed or experienced since moving to Sweden and are meant to be read for fun)
Don’t forget to keep track of how many you answer “yes” to to find out how Swedish you are at the end of the test!
So, how Swedish are you?
2. Do you looove lösgodis (loose candy)?
3. Do you regularly eat open faced sandwiches for breakfast or mellanmål (snack)?
4. Do you put butter on all said open sandwiches?
5. Have you spent at least one winter in Thailand?
6. Did you grow up watching the same snippets of classic Disney movies every Christmas?
7. Is it true that you have never painted any of your walls any color but white (not counting wall paper)?
8. Do you bike to work, school, and/or to go food shopping?
9. Is pasta incomplete without ketchup?
When in Rome
10. Do you wear socks with your sandals?
11. Is your preferred way of confrontation writing angry or passive aggressive notes towards your neighbors?
12. Do you believe there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing?
13. Have you ever slept with flowers under your pillow?
19. Have you ever danced like a frog?
20. Do you smash words together to create new words that you wouldn’t find in the dictionary, but everyone understands you anyway? (AKA do you speak Swedish?)
21. Have you ever had to cancel plans because you had a laundry time booked or used laundry time as an excuse to get out of plans?
22. Does the idea of buying pre-sliced cheese when you can cut it yourself perplex you?
24. Do you dread winter, not because of the darkness or cold, but the fear of getting the inevitable “vinterkräksjuka” (winter puking)?
30. Have you ever painted furniture white?
31. Do you sharply inhale to say ‘yes’, agree, or to acknowledge that someone is speaking?
32. Do you always, always, always take your shoes off when you enter a (any) house or apartment?
33. Do you go food shopping at least four times a week instead of in bulk?
36. Have you ever sang in unison with your friends or family before taking a shot of snaps?
38. Does your name have a birthday (namnsdag)?
39. Can you read the words ‘slut’ (end) and ‘fart’ (speed) without giggling?
If you answered yes to:
36 – 40: You are extremely Swedish! You are a Swede that loves Swedish traditions and culture!
31 – 35: You were born, raised, and have lived in Sweden your whole life!
26 – 30: You are a born Swede living abroad or you moved to Sweden 10+ years ago!
21 – 25: You were born in Sweden and moved away when you were young, but have spent every summer there!
16 – 20: You moved to Sweden within the past 5 years!
11 – 15: You have Swedish relatives or are dating/close with someone Swedish!
06 – 10: You have visited Sweden!
00 – 05: You have no Swedish friends or relatives and have never visited Sweden.
Leave a comment with your result and how accurate it was! (Keep in mind this is for FUN!)