I started writing this post in October 2012 – I’ve been seriously slacking. Awards from other bloggers have been accumulating; unaccepted, unthanked, and unshared. What can I say? I really try not to talk too much about myself or this being a blog and you all being readers too often, but apparently the gig is up. These are great compliments, and I want to say a huge belated Thank You for thinking of Something Swedish. Moreso I want to recommend some of my favorite blogs to my readers.
Before I list the blog awards from other bloggers I wanted to show a very special award I received last year from a website called Expats Blog – A website I didn’t even know about, so it came as a huge surprise. Expat Blog Award 2012: “We have searched high and low to find the best expat blogs out there.”
“By far, one of the best expat blogs on the web and definitely THE best Swedish blog.”
“I have been following this blog for half a year, and I never fail to be entertained and enlightened by Meg’s stories. She covers a full mix of expat topics: from food and language, to historical tidbits and detailed photography. She’s the sort of expat who doesn’t just want to glorify her life abroad, but is genuinely keen to educate and share with others.”
Continue reading this post:
Onward! I am going to do my best here, as every award has its own meaning and guidelines. These awards are a great way to learn about new and interesting blogs, so check them out & enjoy! (please really do, I wish I had more time to check them all out everyday!)
1. June: Chefeye nominated me for The Illuminating Blog Award by Foodstoriesblog.com
~ Visit the award site and leave a comment that they have been nominated in order to be listed on their blogroll.
~ Thank the person that nominated you & include a link to their blog.
~ Link back to the official award site.
~ Share 1 random thing about yourself.
~ Nominate five bloggers for their illuminating, informative posts.
~ Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog, including a link to the award site.
Chefeye is one of the first bloggers I started following when I started blogging. He is a chef from the UK who moved to Sweden, I loved reading his recipes and seeing his food. Since June he has taken a break from work and blogging to take care of his baby girl.
One Random Thing: I love Tetris. And I’m good at it.
Illuminating & Informative: I nominate (in no order!):
1. BecomingMadame who writes about what its like to live in France, the history, the customs, and beautiful photos.
2. MovingToSweden a friend who lives in the same town as I do, he writes about holidays, culture, local events, and the different places he has traveled to in Sweden.
3. TooMutchForWords a traveler who taught English in Burma, writes a little about everything now that she has returned home
4. DodgingCommas a blog filled with book reviews, grammar tips, writing wishes, ideas and inspiration.
5. PolyGlossic always full of interesting facts and history of etymology and language from around the world.
2. & 3. September & October: Frankfurtmalin nominated me for the next two awards: One Lovely Blog Award & The Beautiful Blogger Award
Frankfurtmalin is a mother, an opera singer, and is one of the most recently added blogs to my feed. Her posts are the first (and only one as of right now) that I read in Swedish. She also writes in English and Italian, while living in Germany, how amazing. Thank you for the awards!
The One Lovely Blog Rules of Acceptance
~ Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them.
~ Share 7 unknown things about yourself.
~ Nominate fifteen bloggers you admire.
~ Contact the chosen bloggers to let them know and link back to them.
“Seven Unknown Things”
1. I should wear glasses, but don’t because I haven’t gotten around to fixing them.
2. I love cookbooks.
3. Before starting SomethingSwedish, I thought blogging was silly.
4. Since moving to Sweden I think I’ve turned into a “dog person,” even though I miss my cat terribly. I’ve always been on the fence- but I think it’s because I see so many dogs everyday and haven’t seen a cat in months!
5. I get car & bus sick, but not train or boat sick.
6. Autumn reminds me of home, I can hear my dad raking when I see the multicolored leaves on the ground.
7. I’ve never traveled Westward of the U.S. East Coast
Admire: I nominate (in no order):
1. SwedishFreak for being so dedicated to writing everything and anything about Sweden, even after needing to leave the country she loves.
2. HousewifeDownUnder I admire how honest and open she is with her opinions about everything.
3. BeLoveLive for being so optimistic, and positive – reminding us to follow our dreams and to not hide who we are.
4. OurFamilyFoodAdventures- Eat, Play, Love who cooks foods from around the world with her kids, so fun and heartwarming.
5. American Hermit Crab in Sweden for how many different places she had to live before she finally ended up in Denmark! Lots of patience while learning a new language and culture. Looking forward to stories about her upcoming Danish-American baby!
The Beautiful Blogger Award recognizes bloggers for their hard work and inspiration:
Beautiful Blogger Award Rules:
~ Copy the Award logo and place it in your post.
~ Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
~ Tell 7 things about yourself.
~ Nominate 7 bloggers and comment on their blogs to let them know.
(I’m combing these “7 things” and the following “7 things” with the last “11 facts” award below, because I am running out of things to write about myself!)
Hard Work and Inspiration: I nominate (in no order):
1. Willowday For always posting creative art projects to inspire others
2. Prince Vince Meets The World for raising two beautiful boys with all its hardships and still having the energy to run so far!
3. TitlelessBlog for being so strong through living in a new country (Chile), surviving a brain tumor, and new parenthood trails in her new homeland.
4. 250 benbrott men inte knäckt (250 broken bones but not broken) About a Swedish girl who suffers from weak bones but still shows strength and inspiration.
4. November: HousewifeDownUnder nominated me for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award
(And in February 2013 A Different Day also nominated me!)
HousewifeDownUnder is a very opinionated, strong, and refreshing blogger who writes about her recently moving to Australia, everyday life, and anything in between that is on her mind.
A Different Day is a blogger who loves the night time and writes a little about everything: everyday musings, eaves dropping, ramblings, photos, observations. Read it and enjoy!
~ Display the award logo on your blog.
~ Link back to the person who nominated you.
~ State 7 things about yourself.
~ Nominate 15 bloggers for this blog and link to their pages.
~ Notify these bloggers of the nomination and the awards’ requirements.
(I’m combing these “7 things” and the previous “7 things” with the “11 facts” award below, because I am running out of things to write about myself!)
Very Inspiring: I nominate (in no order):
1. A quick succession of busy nothings For coming back to her wonderful blog after taking a four month break and having a baby! So cute.
2. Frankfurtmalin For living such a linguistically and culturally rich life!
3. Hemborgwife Moved to Sweden for love, read 91 books this year (So far! – talk about outdated, huh? She finished the year with over 100), loves scrabble, cooking, and crafts.
4. An Expat Wife Who writes about her families miscellaneous travel adventures
5. November: Hemborgwife nominated me for The Liebester Award
Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
4. A Different Day
5. LouLou Loves
My questions to my nominees (and back to Hemborgwife because I know she loves answering them!):
1. Would you rather watch the movie or read the book first?
2. What’s your favorite holiday & holiday food?
3. When and why did you start blogging?
4. Do you believe in/read/follow horoscopes?
5. Can you tell us about your first job?
6. What is your dream job?
7. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
8. What is your favorite lyrics or quote?
9. Do you have a Bucket List? Whats #1?
10. Besides any social media, whats your favorite website?
1. It’s almost been one whole year since I moved to Sweden. (It has been over a year….)
2. Despite 8 years of classes, I can speak more Swedish than Spanish.
3. I love scrap booking and card making.
4. I never thought I would, but I really miss being a dental assistant.
5. Sweden has yet to turn me into a coffee drinker. Tea all the way!
6. I blog when I should be studying, cleaning, or working, good thing I stopped posting everyday!
7. I don’t easily accept compliments.
I know I nominated a few less for each than I’m ‘supposed’ to, but they are sincere and great blogs! If I had more time I’d read more blogs, or even get around to reading my blog roll more often! ENJOY!
February 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm
February 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm
Thank you! And I, in turn, admire *you* just for being able to catch up on these! There’s always a dark shadowy cloud in the back of my brain that is “Blogging Awards You Haven’t Accepted”
February 8, 2013 at 9:49 am
Glad I’m not alone! Feels like a huge weight off my chest haha
February 8, 2013 at 6:19 am
Thank you very much! It is really interesting reading your blog as a former expat swede now back in Sweden!
February 8, 2013 at 11:08 am
Thank you so much!
February 8, 2013 at 11:50 am
Ha! I felt like I was at the Oscar’s! Congratulations. I am so glad to read that you haven’t been turned by the damn coffee drinkers that surround us. Thanks for the nomination too!
February 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm
You just made my YEAR! Quite literally, as “win a blog award” was one of my New Year’s Resolutions. Thanks so much for sharing the award- and your Swedish stories – with me. Happy 2013!
Pingback: Being Inspired! | The Hemborg Wife
February 19, 2013 at 12:51 am
Wow, look at you! Congrats on all these awards! You deserve them all. 🙂
And thanks for honouring me with one, too. 🙂
I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one who still struggles with the metric system after more than a year. :-p I have a weather app on my phone in Fahrenheit so that I know how warm it really is and I made a list of metric to imperial cooking measurements and taped it to my fridge.